Monday, June 30, 2014

Mantle Update with Paint and Stain

With all I've had going on lately, I have not been able to do much painting:(  most of you know I am  a huge painter, it's therapeutic for me, so today I was very much in my element when I got to re-do a clients mantle.  Not that it was all that bad before, but we changed the wall color a few weeks ago from a warmer brown to a  cooler greige color so the yellowish mantle was sticking out like a sore thumb.  So what to do- hmmmm let's paint it!

Before:


I should have been better about taking pictures during the process, but I was having so much fun I just kept on moving.  Here is the final result…

 
I know….Cute Puppy!

To achieve this look, I simply painted 2 coats of basic white paint all over the mantle ( I just used an eggshell ultra white).  After it dries, rough it up a little with some sandpaper - everywhere there is some detail- these are the areas the stain will stick to.  Then I do a coat of stain (I used Minwax Dk. Walnut). I use very very little.  Put a small amount on an old rag and then tap on a piece of paper towel to get off excess, then you apply sparingly and always have another cloth to soak up the extra.  In a few areas I had to go back with a dry paint brush with just a tad of the white paint to lighten up some areas.  Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.  I can't wait for the furniture to come in so we can pull the room together!



Everyone have a great short week and stay safe on the 4th!!!






















No comments:

Post a Comment